Most of you know that we have been waiting for over two years to be matched with the child from Lesotho. Well, when the two Canadian agencies licensed in Ethiopia started taking new clients again in the late fall last year, we started making inquiries. Both countries have been in the hopper. After much deliberation and heart searching, we decided to pull our dossier from Lesotho a month and a half ago. So now we are focusing 100% on a new Ethiopian adoption!
This is absolutely the right decision for our family. We know the risks… Lesotho is absolutely great program. If I was to build an adoption program from scratch, it would look like the Lesotho’s. Ethiopia, on the other hand, has had an evolution of regulations, and isn’t without its ups and downs. The public opinion of adoption in Ethiopia has changed significantly since we got our girls. I remember four years ago walking down the street and being stopped several times, with the comment “God bless you. God bless you.” Such is not the case now, and I do think that Ethiopian adoption will continue to slow down. Luckily, many of the new regulations have tightened up some of the shenanigans as well. We have open eyes… and it is the right choice for us.
We have already invested so much Ethiopia. Never mind that I run a charity there and visit once a year. We know how to cook Ethiopian food, we have Ethiopian friends, Ethiopian culture is part of our routine lives. As my dear friend M said when we were hmming and hawing: “You already have the tattoo.”
And heaven knows, I really don’t want to get another tattoo.
Of course the tattoo is a metaphor for the rest of it. (My tattoo says “family” in Amharic, BTW.) But the point is that our lives are significantly more simple if we adopt again from Ethiopia. We know it, and we like it. Ethiopia is already part of our family.
One huge consideration was that we will be traveling back to just one country. If we have children from different countries, that means half the trips to Ethiopia for our girls. Vice versa, another adoption will coincide with our first trip back with the girls. At the moment, we are planning to take them for the first trip (the court date) to meet the new little one and see their own family. That way we can concentrate on them, and pick the new dude up the second trip.
So we are very excited to be walking this road again.
Who knows when we will get matched… As with Lesotho, we are open to a variety of special needs. So the timing not be as long as for others.
Then again, we could never be matched and this could be a waste of time and energy. But it’s worth the effort! And our kids, our family, and our adoption agency are when hundred percent behind our decisions.
Wish us luck!
Arnica, Jason, “Sugar” and “Spice”